Thursday, March 31, 2016

Cinco De Mayo! White Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce



Don't these look fabulous! Well they were. That is Jason about to bite into these yummy morsels. Don't worry I used whole wheat wraps, and added some lettuce to the plate so you wouldn't think it was a total carb fest. :)  (please also note I broke out the fine china for this one)






  So I mentioned before that I have been craving Mexican food. I love it anyway, but apparently the baby does too because I've wanted it even more. Well I got this free coupon for queso for joining the On the Border Cantina Club click here to join. If you have one of these around you then join because you'll at least get a free queso out of the deal. Anyhow, the hubs won't go ever other day like I would like to and I keep seeing recipes come up on Pinterest for white enchiladas so I figured I would mix some together. This was the result and can I just say even the hubs was pleasantly pleased.

Ingredients:

1 package of whole wheat soft taco shells
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded cheese
1 package of Taco Seasoning
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 can diced green chillies



This is the chicken rolled up with cheese on top.
Flour and butter roux with the broth, sour cream, and chilies.



How to do it:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan
2. Cook and shred the chicken. Add 3/4 cup of water and the taco seasoning and simmer for about 5 minutes. 
2. Put about 2-3 tablespoons of shredded chicken in a wrap.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Then add broth and whisk until smooth over medium heat.(I would try to do the chicken and rolling first because it becomes a lot if you are constantly stirring and rolling).  Heat until thick and bubbly.  
4. Lower the heat and stir in sour cream and chilies.  (Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream).
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with cheese.
6. Bake 20 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your input, ideas and comments. Leave some below: